Bunion Specialist Questions and Answers
Looking for a bunion treatment? Look no further than Hicksville Podiatry in Hicksville NY, and West Hempstead NY. Our doctors treat a variety of foot & ankle disorders including bunion & many more. Call us for more information or request an appointment online.
A bunion isn’t something you should have to live with, and you won’t have to if you get it treated here at Hicksville Podiatry. We’re your local provider of bunions treatment in Hicksville, NY. You can come see us for any kind of treatment, as our podiatrist is fully capable of providing anything from recommendations for better footwear, to surgery, if necessary. Get in touch with us today to learn all about how we can help at our clinic.
Why do people get bunions?
Although it isn’t entirely clear why bunions develop, they tend to occur when some of the bones in the front of the foot move out of place. Then, a bony bump forms on the joint at the base of the toe, and this is a bunion. If someone wears tight or narrow shoes, this could cause or worsen a bunion, but it’s also possible that bunions develop as a result of a foot deformity or a medical condition, like arthritis. There could be other factors, including inherited structural factors, foot stress, injury, and/or deformity at birth. Bunions might be associated with inflammatory kinds of arthritis, like rheumatoid arthritis.
Typically, bunions develop on the big toe or little toe and can be pretty uncomfortable for patients. There are treatment options, however.
How are bunions treated?
It’s very easy for a podiatrist to diagnose a bunion with a simple examination, and an X-ray can help him or her determine the best method of treatment. There are multiple treatment options available. Which one the doctor chooses depends on the severity of both the condition and your pain. Hicksville Podiatry prefers the conservative approach to treatment, and this means nonsurgical methods like:
- Changing your shoes to roomier, more comfortable shoes that provide lots of space for the toes
- Icing the bunion to help with soreness and swelling (recommended for patients who don’t have reduced feeling or circulation problems with their feet)
- Padding with over-the-counter bunion pads or cushions which act as a buffer between the foot and the shoe
- Medication with acetaminophen (Tylenol, etc.), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, etc.) or naproxen sodium (Aleve), which can help to control pain (prescription medications may help too)
- Cortisone injections to relieve pain and inflammation
- Over-the-counter shoe inserts which help distribute pressure more evenly when you walk
- Prescription shoe inserts which are custom-made for the patient and more effective than over-the-counter options
Can surgery treat bunions?
Our clinic will try the conservative treatments above, which will work for most patients, but if they don’t work for you, then surgery might be the best approach. There are multiple methods of surgery for bunions, such as:
- Joining the bones in the joint permanently
- Removing swollen tissue from the joint
- Removing a small part of the bone to help straighten the toe
- Realigning bones in the forefoot to help correct the abnormal angle in the toe joint
Remember, surgery is a last resort with us here at Hicksville Podiatry, and it’s very likely that the more conservative treatments will work for you, depending on your particular case. To help you determine which route to take for treatment, we’d like to have a consultation with you here at our clinic. Our physician, Dr. Davinder Bhela DPM, will recommend the best treatment method for you and is more than capable of providing it.
Do you offer bunions treatment in Hicksville, NY?
Hicksville Podiatry provides bunions treatment, and we’re located at 66 W Barclay Street Hicksville, NY 11801. You’re welcome to contact us to learn more about us or to book a consultation with Dr. Bhela. He’d be happy to meet with you to discuss your condition and options for treatment.
We hope we hear from you soon at Hicksville Podiatry!
For more information call us or request an appointment online. We serve patients from Hicksville NY, Bethpage NY, Levittown NY, Westbury NY, Plainview NY, Farmingdale NY, Jericho NY, Syosset NY, Brookville NY, Muttontown NY, Upper Brookville NY, Greenvale NY, West Hempstead NY, Swedetown Village NY, North Wantagh NY, Garden City NY, East Hills NY, Franklin Square NY, Lakeville Estates NY, Queens Village NY, Alden Manor NY, North Merrick NY, East Meadow NY, and surrounding areas.